Pages

Count your chickens before a wedding vendor steals them from under your nose

So, I found a blog and now I'm in love with Beth, her adorable little chicken pal, Pocket, and her perspective on vegetables, weddings and core beliefs. As a relatively new blogger, I love coming across people who are so thoughtful, clear and transparent in their daily living memoirs.

Though she doesn't often talk about it, I came across her recent post about her wedding thoughts and had to share a) her invites from Amy and b) an excerpt on the things she most hates about weddings.



"4. The fact that the whole wedding industry just blatantly wants my money, but pretends like they’re selling me some better and more beautiful version of myself. It is a pointless, prefabricated illusion of choice. Which of ten bridesmaid dresses? What weight cardstock? The whole thought that weddings are a chance to “define” yourself is irritating. I define myself with my actions and their trajectory over time. A wedding is no more self-defining than a BIRTHDAY party. Ugh." [via Why I don't talk about my wedding]

Considering the theme of Aisle Runner - plans, crafts and decors focused -  I can't help but almost feel guilty for falling prey to the claim she details with such ardor... The wedding industry is a gigantic business industry that continues to mislead and rip-off young couples, specifically diamond-distracted brides-to-be, into thinking that this is the one day where not only do they deserve everything sparkle-y, shiny and over-the-top, but also the only day that a girl is able to express her style and world view all-encompassed into one eight-hour event.  

Still at the beginning of the engagement process, and being the first bride on my entire side of the family, I'm finding this a rough row to plow.  I am determined to let intimacy and fun be the focus of the day, but I've noticed that it is hard to not get distracted by the glitz and glamor of ridiculously priced napkins, imported floral arrangements, customized and personalized favors, steak tartare, designer monograms, luxury limos, and on and on...

This is turning into quite the rant, but for those of you who make it through, the main point I'm getting at is that it is such a relief to know that someone else thinks that all this wedding garble is ridiculous, unnecessary and overwhelming.  Just knowing that, makes me more driven to stick to our budget - and not a penny more. 

My wife-life may begins that day, so why would I want to start our lives together in a financial hole?

And, on a parallel note, my wife-life begins that day, but my person, who I am and what matters, doesn't disappear just because I've gone from playing solo to being a team player.  Everyday I have an opportunity to voice my views, style, etc, etc, so why must I shove it in everyone's face all in one day? Don't I want them to like me afterwards? (Most of them, yes, yes, I do.) 

Who knew wedding planning would bring out the philosopher in me. ::gag::

No comments: